As of September 15th 2020, Fellow's Slack app will be using the new granular permissions management system supported by Slack, and we require that the app be re-installed on any existing Slack workspaces by the end of 2020.
What is the new permissions system?
The new permissions system allows us to request access to less information in Slack than before: instead of allowing apps access to everything within a workspace, apps can now specify individual permissions they require. This allows us to clearly state exactly what the Fellow bot will have access to in your Slack workspace, and allows the bot to operate with the fewest number of permissions necessary -- which is great news for security-focused admins!
Why should I upgrade?
Other than the increased security, upgrading your Fellow Slack app enables two great benefits:
- You will receive access to brand new features on the Slack platform that are only available to workspaces who have upgraded their app (such as the upcoming Workflow Steps).
- With the old permissions system, if the person who installed the app leaves the Slack workspace, the app gets uninstalled. With the new permissions system, this is no longer an issue: apps are installed independently of the installing user, and will not be removed from workspaces when users leave.
How do I upgrade?
The upgrade flow must be started by someone who has permission on the Slack workspace to install apps.
- In Slack, visit the Fellow bot and select the "App Home" tab (you can use the search bar at the top of the window to jump right in).
- If your app has not yet been upgraded, you will see a prompt at the top of the Fellow App home with a "Upgrade" button. Click that, and you'll be prompted to authorize access to the new set of granular permissions that Fellow requires to function. Accept the permissions, and you'll be guided through the rest of the setup.
- You're all set! Everyone in the workspace will have access to the Fellow bot again, and the new permissions system is now available.
What happens if I don't upgrade?
Your Fellow bot will continue to function until the end of 2020, at which point Slack is dropping support for the old permissions system. New users on your Slack workspace will not be able to integrate Fellow with Slack even if the app was already installed, until the app has been upgraded.
We strongly encourage you to upgrade the app as soon as possible.